About Course #L0970
Release Date: March 13, 2019
Expiration Date: March 13, 2022
Most denture patients, as well as patients with removable orthodontic appliances, tend to be haphazard in practice when it comes to cleansing their dental appliances. Dental professionals, most notably dental hygienists, play an important role in controlling denture contamination and in instructing patients in the proper care and sanitization of removable dentures and orthodontic appliances. This basic-level course reviews the diverse colonization of microorganisms found on dentures and the associated oral and systemic health risks, the correlation between candidal infestation of dentures and denture-induced stomatitis, and the pros and cons of various denture cleansing methods.
AGD Subject Code: 670
- Describe the diversity of microorganisms that can be found on dentures and the associated health risks.
- Discuss the relationship between yeast infestation of dentures and both oral and systemic health.
- Describe the correlation between candidal infestation of dentures and denture-induced stomatitis.
- Describe the different denture cleansing modalities, including manual brushing and effervescent cleansers.
Western Schools designates this activity for 2 continuing education credits.
About the Author
J. Anthony von Fraunhofer, MSc, PhD, FADM, FRSC, is professor emeritus, University of Maryland Dental School, Baltimore, where he also served as director of biomaterials research in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He has written more than 400 scientific papers and 16 books, and contributed chapters to 15 monographs on dental biomateriÂals and materials science.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
Find Denture Cleansing: An Essential Part of Patient Care, 3rd Edition - L0970 in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- US Virgin Islands
- Washington DC
- West Virginia