About Course #L1000
Review Date: January 1, 2020
Expiration Date: January 1, 2023
Designed for dentists, dental hygienists, and dentalassistants, this intermediate-level course will review the pharmacology andcurrent state of medicinal marijuana as it relates to oral health care. Theinformation presented in this course should be considered essential knowledgefor all OHCPs, both seasoned and newly credentialed.
AGD Subject Code: 130
- Explain the botanical background and cultural history ofmarijuana (Cannabis sativa).
- Discuss the misuse of marijuana.
- Summarize the effects of marijuana.
- Describe common medicinal uses and the evidence ofeffectiveness of marijuana.
- Identify the current status of legalization of marijuanafor medicinal and recreational use and its impact on healthcare systems.
About the Author(s)
Mark Donaldson, BSP, RPH, PharmD, FASHP, FACHE, receivedhis baccalaureate degree from the University of British Columbia (UBC) and hisdoctorate in clinical pharmacy from the University of Washington. He hasfurther completed a residency at Canada’s largest tertiary care facility,Vancouver General Hospital, and is the current associate vice president of clinicalpharmacy at Vizient Pharmacy Advisory Solutions. Dr. Donaldson is a clinicalprofessor in the Department of Pharmacy at the University of Montana inMissoula, clinical associate professor in the School of Dentistry at the OregonHealth & Science University in Portland, and affiate faculty at the Schoolof Dentistry at UBC in Vancouver. He has a special interest in dentalpharmacology and has lectured internationally to both dental and medicalpractitioners. Dr. Donaldson has a number of published works in thepeer-reviewed literature and has co-authored several textbook chapters. Hespent 3 years in Japan focusing on cross-cultural communication andinternationalization. He currently serves on the Editorial Board for theJournal of the American Dental Association and Healthcare Executive and is areviewer for various other journals. He is board certified in healthcaremanagement and is the past-president and current regent of the American Collegeof Healthcare Executives’ Montana Chapter. In 2019, Dr. Donaldson received theSpecial Friend of Canadian Dentistry award from the Canadian DentalAssociation.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expirationdate noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam andcomplete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate ofcompletion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensuresthat the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is freefrom commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to acceptcommercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development ofthis course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or otherconflicts of interest related to the course content.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
Find Medicinal Marijuana - L1000 in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- US Virgin Islands
- Washington DC
- West Virginia