About Course #L0892
Review Date: August 16, 2018
Expiration Date: August 16, 2021
Original Release Date: June 26, 2015
A variety of physiologic, anatomic, and hormonal changes accompany pregnancy and affect how oral health care is provided. Unfortunately, dentists, physicians, and patients often misunderstand and avoid oral health care issues during and after pregnancy. This basic-level course will address current concepts regarding oral health in pregnant women and the impact of their oral health on pregnancy outcomes and early childhood health. It will also discuss strategies to optimize oral health during pregnancy.
AGD Subject Code: 750
- Describe the oral health status of women of childbearing age and barriers to their oral health care.
- Explain systemic changes during pregnancy and their impact on dental care and oral health.
- Describe the effect of maternal periodontal disease and dental caries on pregnancy outcomes and childhood health.
- Discuss clinical practice guidelines on oral health care and management of the pregnant patient.
- Discuss the use of therapeutic agents during pregnancy and lactation.
Western Schools designates this activity for 2 continuing education credits.
About the Author(s)
John F. Kross, DMD, MSc, received his doctor of dental medicine degree from Temple University School of Dentistry in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He completed a fellowship at Temple University Hospital in oral oncology and received a hospital appointment to the Department of Dentistry at the Medical Centers of Delaware (now the Christiana Health Care System).
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
Find Oral Health Care During Pregnancy: Clinical Guidelines and Management, 2nd Edition - L0892 in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- US Virgin Islands
- Washington DC
- West Virginia