About Course #L0944
Release Date: November 9, 2018
Expiration Date: November 9, 2021
The challenge for the medical and dental staff of correctional institutions in the United States is to provide basic healthcare and dental treatment amid the multiple needs of the inmate population and within the budgetary limitations of the county, state, and federal government.
This basic-level course will highlight the unique environment within the correctional system and the challenges of providing dental care therein.
AGD Subject Code: 750
- Describe the basic elements of the correctional environment.
- Review the legal mandates for healthcare within the correctional system, including the concept of deliberate indifference.
- Describe the dental treatment modifications needed for the correctional system population.
- Describe access-to-healthcare issues that are common among the correctional population.
Western Schools designates this activity for 2 continuing education credits.
About the Author(s)
Mark Szarejko, DDS, received his dental degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dentistry in 1985 and Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry in 1994. He has been an examiner for the State of Florida Dental and Dental Hygiene Licensure Examinations since 1994. He has also served as an expert witness for the State of Florida and for private companies. Dr. Szarejko has served as a dentist in the county correctional system for nearly half of his career, where the incidence of HIV/AIDS is much higher relative to that of the general population. The surgical and nonsurgical dental treatment of HIV/AIDS patients is a common occurrence in this setting, allowing him to have a unique perspective of the oral manifestations of HIV/AIDS patients and in their dental treatment.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that this course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
Find Dental Treatment in the Correctional System - L0944 in your state
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- US Virgin Islands
- Washington DC
- West Virginia