About Course #L0960
Release Date: August 29, 2018
Expiration Date: August 29, 2021
Cancer patients have a high risk of oral complications due to chemotherapy and radiation. These therapies upset the healthy balance of bacteria in the mouth, and cause changes in the lining of the mouth and the salivary glands.
This intermediate-level course reviews the complications seen in the oral cavity associated with oral cancer therapies and how to help patients mitigate these complications. This information will help the practitioner provide up to date care for their patients undergoing oral cancer treatment.
AGD Subject Code: 730
- Identify the effects of oral cancer therapies on the skin and oral mucosa, and the methods to prevent and treat them.
- Recognize the effects oral cancer therapies have on the hard tissues of the oral cavity including teeth and bone, and how to prevent and treat them.
- Describe how the salivary glands, muscles of mastication, temporomandibular joint, tongue and taste buds are affected by oral cancer therapies, and how to manage these sequelae.
- Explain how to treat neurotoxicity, pain, and oral infections as complications of oral cancer therapies.
Western Schools designates this activity for 3 continuing education credits.
About the Author(s)
Veronica Powers, DMD, received a BS degree from Providence College and a DMD degree from the Oregon Health and Science University. After working for four years as a general dentist in Portland, Oregon, Dr. Powers returned to New York City to serve as lead dentist for Phoenix House Foundation in Brooklyn, New York, where she provided comprehensive treatment for the residents of a rehabilitation facility.
- Courses must be completed on or before the expiration date noted in the course description above.
- You must score 75% or higher on the final exam and complete the course evaluation to pass this course and receive a certificate of completion.
- Through our review processes, Western Schools ensures that the course content is presented in a balanced, unbiased manner and is free from commercial influence. It is Western Schools' policy not to accept commercial support.
- All persons involved in the planning and development of this course have disclosed no relevant financial relationships or other conflicts of interest related to the course content.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.